BPE was formed in 1997 as an independent Process Engineering Consultancy serving the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industries. Since that time, we have grown year on year, with our success based upon strong partnerships with clients in the UK and Europe. In 2020, BPE was acquired by OLG, making us part of a larger engineering group and also enabling us to supply into other sectors, including Oil & Gas and Petrochemicals. Following a group rebrand in 2021, we are now operating under the name of OLG Consulting.
OLG Consulting’s Electrical, Control and Instrumentation (E,C &I) design team are looking for an engineer to join the department in a full-time permanent staff position of Junior / Senior / Principal E,C&I Engineer (depending upon experience), to help meet ongoing project objectives.
This E,C&I role is to provide technical expertise during the design phase of a project, from feasibility to detailed design and at times providing technical support during construction and commissioning. Producing detailed design documentation for the complete E,C&I design package and providing support to other disciplines within the company.
The person shall ideally have knowledge and experience, bringing a high degree of competence, in the following areas across electrical, instrumentation and control disciplines:
- Instrument and actuated valve technologies.
- Instrument loop design.
- Analytical and weighing instrumentation.
- Integration of vendor packages
- Industrial automation and industrial system communications.
- Control and Safety System architectures.
- Process Control technique.
- Design of LV electrical circuits including motor controls, LV distribution, lighting and earthing and compliance to BS 7671.
- Electrical requirements in Hazardous Areas, where a risk of explosion from dusts and gases exist, in particular the implementation of Intrinsically Safe circuits.
- Use of Amtech Electrical Design software.
- Use of Microsoft Office applications.
- MCC design.
- Lightning Protection.
(Please note consideration will be made where an engineer is biased towards one discipline, can demonstrate transferrable skills and willingness to develop new competencies.)
The following attitudes are expected:
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated.
- Fits well within a team but can lead as required.
- Plans own workload.
- Takes on appropriate responsibilities but knows when to escalate issues.
- Focused on meeting deadlines and quality targets.
The following industry experience is highly desirable:
- Pharmaceutical – API and Secondary Manufacture.
- Oil & Gas
The following qualifications and experience are expected:
- BSc / BEng degree in related engineering subject, or relevant technical qualifications i.e., BTEC, City and Guilds etc.
- Equivalent industry knowledge and experience.
- Professional Membership
The E,C&I Engineer shall be a central part of the E,C&I team, reporting to the E,C&I Design Manager. The E,C&I Engineer shall support E,C&I Design on projects (Concept to Detailed Design) and may also provide on-site support to clients.
Main Duties Are:
- Conduct site surveys and consult with the client, throughout projects, to develop the process electrical and instrument design.
- Attend internal and external project meetings.
- Assist in the coordination of the project design, alongside Process, Piping, Building Services and CSA Designers and Engineers, through 3D model review.
- Engineer General Arrangement Drawings, Layout Drawings, Cable Route Drawings, Location Drawings, Block Cable Diagrams, Single Line Diagrams, Circuit Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams and Instrument Loop Diagrams.
- Engineer Instrument and I/O Lists, Instrument and Electrical Cable Schedules (including cable sizing calculations), MTO/BOMs.
- Produce instrument datasheets.
- Produce Requirement Specifications and Scopes of Work
- Provide Technical input into Invitation to Tender Packages
- Peer check colleagues design documentation.
The E,C&I Engineer shall be familiar with the use of British and International Standards, Industry Regulations, EC Directives and Health & Safety Regulations, including CDM Regulations.
- Previous hands-on site experience through a commissioning or similar role would be advantageous.
- Previous CAD experience would be beneficial.
- An ability to communicate via both verbal and written means to peers and to people outside of the company.
- Legally permitted to live and work in the UK.
- UK Driving Licence.
Knowledge of any of the following areas would be an advantage:
- BS 7671 (18th Edition)
- BS EN 60079
- IEC 61508
- GAMP V standards and guidance.
- CDM Regulations
- Competitive Salary
- 23 days holiday (rising with service) plus Bank Holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Healthcare Plan